How can we improve cyclist safety?
We collectively designed, developed and iterated through possible design solutions, evaluating each possible solution using design thinking to explore concepts without the limitations of physical form.
I co-lead the creation of the 3D model and iterated it according to user feedback.
I created the majority of all graphic elements and illustration assets, visualising our product including the Poster.
UX researcher, Interactive Product Design, 3d Modelling, Fabrication and Finishing, Graphic Design
This was a group project.
Our task was to develop a motion-activated device using physical computing techniques and design processes. The device had to be a functional and interactive prototype at a 1:1 scale. The solution had to make use of changes in pitch, roll, and yaw, that make up the three axes of the accelerometer contained in the IMU sensor (Inertial Measurement Unit) on the Arduino genuine 101 board.
Cycling is a healthy form of transport that can have positive impacts on levels of physical activity, obesity rates, cardiovascular health, and morbidity (Pucher et al, 2010). Although the obvious health benefits to cycling are clear Australians are now cycling less often and for less time than we were in 2011.
Bicycle safety equipment is important in protecting riders from and in crashes, however current equipment like helmets have low use in jurisdictions that do not require them (Everett et al, 2001). In jurisdictions that do require safety equipment, this translates to low use of bicycles, and hence a decrease in population health (Dutch Fietsersbond, 2012).
Several products have been designed to reduce the downsides of bicycle safety equipment by implementing motion sensors, including the Hövding (an inflatable airbag inflates in the event of a motion-detected crash), the Garmin Varia (lights that use sensors to adjust beam intensity and hence save battery while riding), and the RTL510 (uses radar to provide visual and audible alerts to riders and drivers). However, these products and similar ones on the market are sold at prohibitive prices for students and casual riders, limiting their usefulness for these user groups.
Our approach, to a solution for the problem of declining ridership among Australians, was to create a product that focused on safety, affordability and convenience. By helping to make safety while riding easier and more accessible, we hoped to improve ridership by enhancing the quality of each and every ride.
For the outcomes of the project we had several deliverables to craft. These included a functioning prototype using the Arduino Genuino 101 board, which had to be mounted in a 3D printed casing that we would design using 3ds max. Along with a video demonstration and a poster, we also had to create a VR scene (using 3ds max and Unity) which reflected a usage scenario for our product. I was co-leader of creating the 3d model.
As part of the design showcase for this project, I created a poster showing off the adLight. Combining this with our other design artefacts (the explanatory video, immersive 3D scene, prototype models and the final model) we presented our solution. The showcase was attended by our peers, a panel of judges and members of the community. At the end of the day awards were given and we took out the major prize for best product design, in a class of over 150 students.